Monday, November 22, 2010

What the heck is "alacritous" and is it contagious?

You may have seen the title of my blog and subsequently questioned my sanity. I mean really, the word “alacritous” isn’t one you come across too often and to live that way just sounds painful. But it actually comes from the word “alacrity” which means “Briskness, cheerful readiness, liveliness, promptitude, sprightliness” (as defined by the Oxford English Dictionary) and that’s how I try to live my life, with “cheerful readiness.” I believe that life is a circle which takes us through the good times and the bad at regular intervals - a delicate balancing act in which everything happens for a reason. Yes, I’m one of those people that believe you will always end up where you’re meant to be and that every experience, no matter how traumatic, has some small bit of good.
Now, even with this small definition of both the word and my personality, you may ask how I ever came to call my blog such. Well, dearest readers, I was inspired by a poem I wrote (one of my favorites actually) called “With Something Much like Alacrity.” It’s whimsical and nonsensical in the e.e. cummings and Emily Dickinson sense, although in no way as well crafted. Here it is:
With Something Much like Alacrity
Last night I dreamed of a place
Where I was all alone;
The quiet was complete,
The stillness whole,
But I was far from home.
I lay down for a while
To contemplate infinity
Until the ending I found.
So I decided to fly away
Because my feet tired the ground.
I soared over seas and summits,
Grasslands, greenery and glens.
I swirled with snowflakes
And drops of rain
While learning their secrets of suspense.
I then lie down in a downy bush
And dreamed I was awake.
The paradox of dying to live
My waking dream did make.
I was spun around so hard and fast
The way home was a mystery,
But this was not a defeat for me
The challenge was a treat to me.
Still there was no sigh or sound
No creature to be seen,
So I split into two
And played games with Myself
Until Myself grew mean.
I then dived down into the ocean
Breathing in its salt
But since an ocean dead
Is no fun at all
I quickly came back to the start;
But I got my ending confused
With the beginning of smile
So I just sat down
With chin in hand
And thought about things for a while.
I figured out the meaning of life
Seconds within its asking
And I discovered ungravity
With something much like alacrity.
All this came to not, though,
Since without you I remained
So I hitched a ride on a humpback whale
And now am with you again.

No comments:

Post a Comment